October 15, 2009, 8:57AMSOUTHWEST MICHIGAN — Sure, Halloween may be mostly a children’s holiday, what with all the dressing up and candy consumption.
But adults also know how to get down with their inner-goblin. For all those grown-ups who spend more on their costumes than holiday gifts, here’s a list for you — everything from the freaky haunts to burlesque shows to local seasonal beer:
LOCAL SEASONAL BEERS
- The Livery’s Oktoberfest, a lager with an amber/copper color and nutty malt flavor with a 5.5 percent ABV. Available through November at The Livery, 190 5th St., Benton Harbor. (269) 925-8766. liverybrew.com.
- Olde Peninsula’s Pumpkin Ale, a golden ale, lightly hopped with spices added with a 5.5 percent ABV. Available through November at Olde Peninsula Brewpub, 200 E. Michigan Ave. (269) 343-2739.
- Bell’s Brewery Inc.’s Octoberfest, “a coppery amber lager” with a 5.5 percent ABV. Available through October at Bell’s Eccentric Cafe, 355 E. Kalamazoo Ave., and area retailers. www.bellsbeer.com.
- Arcadia Brewing Company’s Jaw-Jacker Ale, pours an orange-amber color with a blend of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon with a 6 percent ABV. Available through the fall at the brewery, 103 W. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek, as well as some area bars and retailers. On special at Harvey’s on the Mall, 416 S. Burdick St., all month. (269) 963-9520. www.arcadiaales.com.
- New Holland Brewing Company’s Ichabod, combines malted barley, real pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg with a 5.2 percent ABV. Available through the fall at the brewery, 66 E. Eighth St, Holland, and at area retailers and bars. (616) 355-NHBC. newhollandbrew.com.
- The Old Hat Brewing Company’s Pumpkin Ale, rolls in at 5.6 percent ABV. Head brewer Tom Fuller said it “tastes like grandma’s pumpkin pie.” It’s available through November at the Lawton microbrewery at 114 N. Main St. (269) 624-6445. oldhatbeer.com.